Friday, November 6, 2009

The Pigs keep marching on!

The good news: KC is improving and slept ALL night last night. (which incidently means I did too!) He woke w/ no temp and now we have to see if it stays down today and tomorrow. If it does, he is officially in the clear and can begin to be outside around others again.

the not so good news: Rob woke with a sore throat and Lissa has a cough. She says she has a sore throat but this is hard to verify as she also said she had purple eyeballs and was hollering loud enough to be heard next town over when she didn't think her breakfast was coming quickly enough. But it is clear that we are still a plague house and i have emailed folks at church that we will not be present on Sunday.

I opted to have Rob not school today since he is feeling not up to par. I figure it isn't likely he isn't going to remember anything if he tries to work anyhow, so rest and relax. I told him about looking for Dee on FB and how after months of waiting i had heard from him last night. I told him I had sent him a few pics of Rob which made Rob grin (nary a one of my kiddos is camera shy!) and that I had sent him a short greeting. I asked Rob if he would like a FB account now that we had a way to connect with Dee, but also tried to make it clear that I have no idea how frequently the other boy is on line or checking his account.

Rob definately wanted a FB account and didn't mind the parameters I had set up. (I am all about internet safety and firmly believe that kids need to learn to use the net safely.) He said all his friends at church had FB accounts. I asked him why he hadn't ever expressed a desire to have one then, especially since he knew I had an account.

His answer was that since I had told Chet he could not have a MySpace account, he assumed he would not be able to have a FB account. I said that was too long a conversation before I headed out to work but we would talk later about why the situations were different. What he needed to remember was to ask for himself. That there are some things that are different for different family members based on their abilities and their willingness to follow certain guidelines. But that he was lucky I was psychic and asked if he wanted the account because most parents would not guess that since he spends all his computer time at SIkids and NFLRush. LOL Even he laughed at that.

It is hard to help the younger kids understand that there are things Chet can't do and may never do. I would let him have a FB account if I could trust his ability to be appropriate in what he wrote. But I can't. He would likely wind up in a very serious situation--we narrowly skirted out of one when he had a computer a few years ago. A big part of the problem is that he really still acts like a teen boy and at some levels even still thinks of himself that way. So things that would be probably if not ok, likely overlooked, if said by a teen are not when it is found to be written by a man in his 20's Chet also tends to try and be very secretive--he will not happily accept any kind of check in system on his writings and web sites being visited. His literal mind doesn't see that because a site is labelled "cute pictures" that it could be so much more than that for instance. Keeping him safe on the net was quite frankly a huge ole nightmare.

Thankfully while "working" on his computer a couple years ago, Chet deleted the entire operating system on himself including the secret files that DELL put into the computer at the factory and it could not be restored. Wise old Ooma just didn't replace the computer. LOL He got an ipod instead.

So anyway, if Rob is well enough tomorrow I will help him set up his account. It was cool to see his face light up like a Yule tree when I told him Dee had friended us. I am so glad I didn't tell him I was trying to do this months ago though; he would have been upset when it took 4 or so months for the connection to happen.

1 comment:

Todd said...

As always, I'm impressed at how well you are doing with Chet. You're an awesome parent, if I do say so myself. *huggles*