Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Entertaining Begins!

K's sister is here to spend Thanksgiving with us.  She comes out a day ahead and the kids have been so eager to see their Auntie.  She didn't realize how much they were looking forward to it and was sort of relaxing when she got here. (30 minute drive from her house to ours)  KC asked her to play a game and she said she would but kept chatting instead with the grown ups.  KC asked again, holding the cards in his little hand.  I even pointed out that he was ready to play a game.Again, she didn't clue in.  I was also cooking as this was unfolding and I watched his shoulders slump and saw him quietly walk into our dining room.  I followed him in and he cuddled up and cried softly into my shoulder.  He so desperately wanted her to play with him, to spend time with him.  My heart broke for him.  There is not a real huge window that you get with kids.  There will come a time when he is off doing his own thing, with his peers and he will likely not care one fig about hanging with his family in the way he does now.

I took a deep breath and went back into the kitchen and tried to gently tell Lynne she had let him down. KC has been counting the days till Lynne's visit. Don't tell my kids you are going to do something if you aren't.  What she had really meant was "later."  Say later.  Better yet, say a time.  But don't say something will happen and then have it not happen.

I know that we are the only folks on K's side of the family with kids. So that is probably part of it.  If you are not around children, maybe you don't get what it entails.  Auntie did apologize and later did play a game, so all is well in the world again! 

Meanwhile, I have made the cranberry sauce and tonight will get together the crescent roll dough.  K has made pies and the house has that Thanksgiving smell to it I am told. (I have no sense of smell and have to rely on others to inform me!)

No comments: