Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The perils of honesty

As an inherantly honest person, it never fails to astound me when people lie.  And people who can lie spectacularly can usually totally snow me. Because, well, I just wouldn't think of lying. So I believe them.  In my job, this is not always a great quality.  The plus side is that those people who made poor choices in the past--well they get that fresh start with me.  The down side is that every so often I get  kicked and look pretty darn stupid.

Like the year that an elderly resident told me she was returning to her homeland for a visit.  I helped line up security to watch her apartment in her absence, reminded her about the heat settings, checked to see if her mail had been taken care of . . . only to find out that she was actually a guest of the commonwealth for 90 days.  Seriously, you say "homeland" when you mean the pokey???? And you didn't think about the return address on the envelope when you mailed something to me?

That is actually funny to me now.  Then, not so much.  Today I had a somewhat similar but more tragic situation.  Tragic because the lying to me by the tenant's family was unnecessary.  I would have helped not judged.  People assume that a landlord will take a hard tack always and that isn't the case, at least where I work.  But my belief is that what you do will come back to you three fold.  Well, those that lied, got lied to by their own family member.  They are now devastated and can not believe that the person that they fabricated this ruse for didn't tell them about the life growing  inside her.  I just worry for the life that child will face.  I see what drugs and alcohol do. Truly, it makes me cry.

1 comment:

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Same goes for me, and occasionally people wish I WOULD just lie, but I hate lying and being lied to. My stand is that all and all it might be awkward at first but life is much easier if you are just up front in the first place, the truth always shows up anyway.
But this sounds like a sad situation all the way around. Sorry.