Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lissa's speech and hearing eval

I have been stressing over Lissa's hearing and speech evaluations.  My company is being sold and we have had many different dates (we are now told Monday or Tuesday of next week).  That means my health coverage will change.  I wanted the testing done while I still had the Blue Cross Blue Shield that I am familiar with.  Which may take more out of my paycheck but takes next to nothing when we actually use it.  At any rate, the tests have also been changed a couple of times due to the stormy weather we have been experiencing.  The hospital where the tests are done is on a steep hill.  Not a hill one wants to drive up or down in a mini van in bad weather.

But the goddess was looking out for us and the tests took place Wednesday and Thursday while we still had our preferred medical coverage and in between two whoppers of storms.  And the bottom line is that Lissa tested fine.  I knew she was fine hearing wise.  I was not so sure language wise.  Part of me still isn't 100 per cent sure.  I know my perceptions though are colored by things like how my other kids spoke at the same age.  The fact that I know about her significant drug exposure and the fact that her first mother did not have pre-natal care. Those factors can skew my views so that I think something is bigger than it is.  I also believe that everyone blooms in their own time and space.

So I will just work on the sounds she has trouble with here at home and trust that she is fine and blooming as she should.  And if by chance a  year from now she speaks the same way, we will re-test and at least we now have this batch as a baseline.

1 comment:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Good News For Lissa! Isn't it nice to have at least one or two days of regular driving weather? We are sooooo sick of the snowstorms and snowdays in our neck of the woods!