Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Book Reviews

So I don't really read as much "big people" literature as I would like at this point in my life.  I do read more than I did 2  to 3 years ago, way less than I did 5 years ago. But life is a continuim.  I will have more time for this at other points in my life.

What I do read a lot of is kids books.  For obvious reasons. LOL  And I have decided that I don't need to apologize for that.  I am going to embrace it.  Because I love reading to and with my kids.  I love sharing the magic of the written (and spoken) word with them.  Each week, between my 4 kids we haul away about 30 books from our public library.  And they are generally all consumed within a week.  Yes, consumed.  Like the necessary food for the spirit that they are.

Of late, we have found some truly exciting reads.  So for no particular reason other than my love of these books I share some titles:

Skulduggery Pleasant   This is a middle school book series about a skeleton detective. (yes you read that correctly) and his young female human assistant.  They are very busy saving the world and the universe from all manner of evils.  It is witty and enjoyable to read even if you are an adult.  There are 4 books in the series.  We just ordered book 4 tonite on line through Amazon as Barnes and Noble did not have it and none of the libraries that we have borrowing rights to had a copy.

The Rangers Apprentice Series  Another good middle school and up series.  Rob and I read these aloud at night and are eagerly awaiting the next book.  The author lives in Australia.  He has a special place in my heart because as a homeschool project I had Rob write to him a few years ago and explain what he liked about the books.  John Flannagan wrote back!  Rob still has the letter. The series is about an orphaned boy in a medievil-ish sort of time who learns to be a Ranger.  Rangers are sort of the king's "special forces" and they help out in all sorts of escapades through out the kingdom of Aruleun and beyond. I loved that the book inadvertantly brought home that people who love you are not always related by blood and the idea of working hard to become good at something that you really believed in.

The Chiru of Tibet  Until a couple nights ago I don't think I knew about the Chiru. They are amazing creatures that live (duh) in Tibet. Their fur is extremely warm, but in order to get the fur the chiru must be killed. They can not be shorn like sheep because Tibet is so cold they would die if you shaved them.  This is the true story of a man's effort to document the secret breeding grounds that the chiru have visited for ages so that this could become a protected area. There is a beautiful rhythm to the language used in the story and there are pictures in the back of the real people involved.  Real is very exciting to 6 year old boys!

The Art and Science of a snowflake  Here in our corner of New England we haven't really had a big snow yet.  (I think that will change soon) But snowflakes have always fascinated us all.  My kids make paper snowflakes in such quantities that you usually can't see out our windows in winter because of the white lacey beauties that adorn them.  This book is written by a scientist who takes pictures of actual snowflakes through a microscope.  The pictures are truly stunning, especially when he puts colored lights behind them and takes a shot.  There are clear explanations of the actual ways that snowflakes develop.  I don't think KC got all of that data, but he understood enough to be entranced.

4 comments:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

They all sound good! Are your kids familiar with Snowflake Bently? He's the Vermonter who "discovered" the unique properties of snowflakes by photographing them...pretty cool book

FairyLover said...

I was also going to mention Snowflake Bently. It is a wonderful book.

Kathi Sewing, Knitting, Candle Making, Homeschooling Mama

Lee said...

2 other Snowflake Bentley lovers! We love that book too (have it on request again at the library as it is something of an annual read for us all!) I should have mentioned that we found out after reading the fly leaf after story time that the book about the Chiru is written by the same person who wrote Snowflake Bentley!

Mama Drama Times Two said...

double cool!