Friday, January 28, 2011

Learning a new culture

Business culture that is.  My company was purchased by a new owner on Tuesday.  It has been an interesting ride so far.  Exhausting.  Interesting.  Nerve wracking.  And because I think often of what my kids have gone through en route to becoming a family, I see that I might have been better at helping them if I had gone through this before I became their Ooma.  Instead, I was happily ensconsed in the same job.  Sure policies changed, duties and reports changed,  but the way that was communicated didn't.  This is probably very  much how the kids felt coming home to us.  Everything somehow similar yet different.  Sounds, tastes, smells and routines sometimes hugely different, sometimes subtley so. 

That is one of the things that has struck me most about this week.  My new company is much more high tech.  If someone is standing in front of me and I ask a question, they tend to say, "would you email me that?"  My old bosses used email but not to the level that is now my new norm. It isn't wrong, or necessarily hard, but it feels weird and a bit like a garment that you are not sure you like.  You know, the dress you keep putting on in the dressing room because you can't decide if it is you?  That is what it feels like.  Someday it will be me. It will feel normal.  But not now. My goal?  To be as adaptable as my kids and embrace the change and the challenge.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love your perspective. May the days ahead be calm and as stress free as possible.

GB's Mom said...

Best wishes!