Saturday, January 8, 2011

Los Reyes

As a Unitarian Universalist pagan I try hard for my kids to understand and respect the sources that our faith draws from (Christianity, Islam, Hindu, Judaism, etc)  Thus, although we do not celebrate Christmas with a nativity or creche scene, my kids are familiar with the birth story of Jesus.  To further complicate matters, we celebrate 3 Kings Day in our house. We are not latino but KC's one and only day care lady was.  Abuelita Maria (and I think Dora the Explorer) introduced El dia de los reyes into our life.  Since I have no qualms about celebrating as long as the back story is understood and respected, we do 3 Kings. 

We had to do our family celebration late because Kirsty had worked all week but was not working Friday.  So we took the day before to make crowns, find our cake recipe etc.  Last night at the celebration KC was explaining the story behind 3 Kings.  "It was because it was such a long trip to see baby Jesus.  And they were rich cuz they were kings.  They brought GOLD, FRANKENSTEIN and MIRTH!"  OK, so maybe I have a little work to do.  On the other hand, I don't know about Frankenstein but a gift of mirth is not such a bad thing.

1 comment:

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

That post brought me much mirth!