Thursday, January 27, 2011

Fiona's and the moon

We had a great call with Fiona last night.  Apparently the last time she and KC spoke on the phone they talked about the moon. KC is a "moon child" Literally loves the moon and it is probably because we used to bring him outside to see la bella luna every full moon. He was first kissed by a full moon's light when he was but days old.  He came home to us at a full moon, I remember luna lighting our way home from Chicago when we were driving back home. 

At any rate, Fiona said something about the moon and KC told  about how he always talks to the moon. Fiona said for him to always remember that the same moon was shining over her and that every time she looked up at it that she would think of him and he could think of her.  Sniff.  I just heard about that part of last weeks call THIS week but it was still amazing. The cognitive leap, the connection to us being so strong, thrills me.

Fiona is also working so hard on processing some really tough stuff about all her moves. She spoke of how she thought that when she was moved from the RTC close to us to the far away crappy group home (I know not politically correct, I am sorry) that she thought we didn't want her anymore.  Because she didn't hear from us.  I was writing letters weekly. I tried to call and the staff would never put me through.  It was one of those icky situations where my lack of legal standing in her life was a huge impediment. (former adoptive mom, mother to her brother, none of those things carry a whole lot of weight unless a professional is truly caring and insightful.)  That "professionals" could not see that it would be detrimental to her to lose contact with family who had visited physically 2 times a month, and called weekly was insane.  Small wonder she was hospitalized two months into the stay there. She also disclosed  during the call that workers there pulled her hair when she was raging, which incensed me.  Thanks, all those powers that be that saved money by placing my daughter where she was mistreated.  Gotta love that.

 Jane is still trying to figure out how to incorporate Fiona's sister Krystal into the healing and their b. mom.  Jane asked if I would get a chronology of Fiona's life together as much as I have (which is do-able as I saved everything but I have to unearth where I stored it!) Cousin N is going to try to fill in pieces of the early years of birth to age 7 or 8. Jane says that her perception of b mom is that she is not all that stable right now which saddens me.  I don't know the woman who gave birth to my children but I have always hoped that her life was better now.  Apparently it is marginally but there are still deep seated issues that may always plague her and which will make any kind of contact with Fiona difficult to facilitate.

1 comment:

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Ugh, heartbreaking! I really feel for her, I’ll be sending lots of positive energy Fiona’s way.