Sunday, January 16, 2011

Slothful Sunday!

I almost always go to church! Not because I believe that I must and most definately not because I believe that my presence there guarantees my place in a lovely hereafter.  My religion can easily and is often practiced in solitude, or in the warmth of my family community. 

Rather I go to church to challenge my mind and to offer my kids a chance to learn and grow, and for their strong friendships there to be nurtured.  But today, I wimped out.

Yesterday we had the surprise party here for Lynne. That meant that my usual Saturday chores did not get done.  I did the grocery shopping but have not yet brought D. his groceries.  I dropped off the library books that were due but didn't have time yet to bring the kids to get their books for the week.  I have not cleaned the bathroom. I have a couple batches of pumpkin cookies with penuche frosting that I promised I would make with the leftover pumpkin from a supper we had a couple nights ago.  I promised to make a raspberry mousse.  And of course, I had to take in the penguins on their tomato stakes and store them properly in the garden shed.

And did I mention that it is COLD here?  Not surprising in New England. But yesterday when I was shopping it was minus 2.  Minus 2 should only happen for people who want to live in the Arctic.  Me, I don't want to live in the arctic.  And we are entering the time of year when the unremitting cold begins to sap my physical energies.  I find myself  pushing to do things that I normally do without ever a thought.  Things like getting out of bed at 5:30 for instance.  Getting dressed.  (my house is not warm!!) So having accomplished those first two arduous tasks of the day, I think that I was justified in cutting myself some theological slack today.  Plus there is football at 4:15 so I have to have all my chores done by then!  LOL

No comments: