Sunday, January 9, 2011

Project Penguin

We are celebrating Christmas (yes, again people!) on Saturday.  My in laws always come after the fact.  It is easier and actually I sort of like the extending out the fun factor.  Except for last year when weather and illness, and my BIL's band gigs prevented us from gathering together till Valentines Day.  It was slightly surreal to spend the day opening Christmas gifts and that evening make valentine heart favors out of old candy canes! LOL  So this year, if we pull it off on Saturday, it is definately a step up in the date department.

The other thing is that we are sort of surprising my SIL with a 50th birthday party.  She actually has her birthday about a week to 10 days later but I figure it is close enough.  And I figure the surprise factor will be there because it isn't her actual "day."

Lynne has always been big on the black balloon thing for milestone birthdays.  K and I not so much. I truly don't see any birthday as "over the hill" and all such days to be celebrated and enjoyed.  BUT I want the celebration to have what Lynne wants in order for her to feel properly feted and  honored.  So being the queen of party planning, I have come up with a plan.  I present:  Project Penguin!

You know how people often put a flock of flamingos on their lawn when someone turns 50?  Usually with a big sign that says something like Nifty Swifty, Sue is 50 or some equally clever rhyme along those lines.  (Please tell me people do this in other communities than mine! LOL  I just realized as I wrote this that plastic  pink flamingos were originally manufactured in the city I live in and this may not exactly be a cultural norm in the wider world!)  But Lynne grew up here so it is part of her cultural background. 

But it is winter.  And I am frugal.  I am not buying 50 pink plastic flamingos for my sister in law no matter how much I love her.  So we found a cute picture of a penguin in an on line coloring book and printed it off on our computer. We are taking it to a copy center and having 50 printed.  My 14 y/o son will have the joyous task of laminating these for us and we will attach them to thin dowels.  There is a hedge that runs the length of my home and the penguins will "march" down the hedge.  The last penguin will carry a sign that says " Hooray! this bird is 50!"  It also leaves off her name as I always wonder when I see those signs if the person who had the party truly wanted that info out there for the wider viewing audience.

So the penguins give us a bit of black.  Inside in our dining room we will have black, silver and shiny blue balloons.  Think icy blue looking.  My kids love to be in charge of the balloon gig.  We will make paper snowflakes and hang them around the room too.  When one has the misfortune to be borne in January one ought to find ways to celebrate the beauty of winter. ( I should know, my actual birthday is also in January but I never celebrate it then!) We will have placecards that have snowflakes stamped on them, or possibly penguins. The jury is out on them, but there will be decorative place cards.  I am still thinking about the centerpiece for the dining room table.  My kids have a game with penguins that are supposed to balance on something and I am thinking of borrowing the penguins from the game and making a snow scene that they are part of and running that down the center of our table.

Lynne has been working hard on a weight loss regimen but I know she  will expect and deserve some kind of festive sweet.  So instead of cake we are going to do cupcakes, some of which will be topped with tiny sugar penguins and some with tiny sugar snowflakes.  Penguin cupcakes will be made of red velvet cake.  Snowflake ones of a white cake recipe that two of my kids prefer.  It will be fun.  I'll try to remember to take some pictures as Project Penguin evolves!

1 comment:

Mama Drama Times Two said...

It sounds so fun, festive and cheerful- perfect for mid-winter in New England.