Monday, January 10, 2011

Dentists and Shameless Parental Bribery

I admit it.  Having multiple children did it.  Where I would with only one child, feel I had an obligation to take that moral high road and help my child see each situation clearly. . . well let us say that with 4 children at home themoral hight road could just get covered with weeds and lost forever before we got everyone seeing their respective situations clearly.  Enter:  The Bribe! 

Bribes are only useful in my experience if one saves them for Really Important Stuff.  Like today.  KC had to have a tooth filled.  My two  younger children have been gifted genetically with poor teeth.  I sigh.  My dentist smiles.  He is probably picking out retirement condos in Maui and figuring out how many years he will take care of KC and Lissa's teeth to get there.  But I digress.

KC is petrified of shots.  And this filling would require a shot of novicane.  Or whatever it is that they really use but we all still call it that.  He also really wanted me to be with him and that was not possible as I am preparing my office for a site audit and we are in the process of being sold.  So I brought out the big guns.

If he worked very hard at letting our nice dentist (and he IS a very nice, very gentle dentist) do his job and fill the tooth, then tonight we would go to Barnes and Noble.  This is akin to winning the lottery for my children. They adore the place.  Even if we don't get a book, they adore the place.  We sit and read. We look at the displays.  We search for favorite authors.  And we go to the cafe.  Where we get one humungous cookie that can easily be split four ways and bring it home to share amongst all of them.  A trip to Barnes and Noble is always an event.  And not something done often.  A trip out after supper as dusk was creeping over the horizon added additional cachet.  The tooth was filled.  There was no drama for the dentist to deal with.  And we had a lovely time at Barnes and Noble. 

Except that Rob discovered that they do not carry book 4 of the Skulduggery Pleasant series that he and I have been reading.  (he introduced me to the series via audio book while I was washing dishes one night and I was hooked)  We came home and I looked and found it on Amazon!  Go figure.

No comments: