Saturday, December 18, 2010

Nearing Solstice Night

I probably talk less about my faith practice than anything else.  I am not sure quite why that is, except that I know paganism is so highly misunderstood.  I don't want trolls slamming my blog so I rarely speak of it.  But my belief system is central to my life which makes it also sort of stupid that I don't speak more about it.

In our household paganism folds nicely into the Unitarian Universalist faith that I was raised in.  And our church has a large group of active, practicing pagans.  Tomorrow will be a solstice service at 9 a.m. and I am looking forward to it.  Solstice night on the 21st is also a special night at our house.  We embrace the darkness of the longest night of the year, and enjoy "calling back" the sun.  We eat in near darkness, with only candles (and since I have recently found the joy of battery operated tea lights I'll be doing I think bigger masses of candles this year!) I am by nature a creature of sun, light and heat.  They are just part of what makes me, me.  But I take this night to stop and appreciate all that the darkness does.  The rest, the restoring, the enfolding of seeds deep below the earth that will spring forth in the right time.  Blessed be!

No comments: