Sunday, December 26, 2010

The joy of FB and teens

Facebook is a funny thing.  I really only started it to connect with far flung family.  Initially, truthfully it kind of creeped me out.  And then there was the "this is so stupid" stage when I would read that someone bought planters for their new back deck, or little Johnny so and so just learned toilet training and I would think--um, TMI??  But I sort of hung in there because this really was the only way I came up with for staying in touch with Robbie's first family. They do not live near us and a number of them move frequently enough that other manners of communication often fall through. Phone numbers and addresses change and they forget to let us know.  Through FB I was able to reconnect Rob with a number of cousins and two siblings, some aunts etc.  But I am also a worry wort parent so when I set Rob up with his FB page I asked that he friend me so that I could see what was said.  Obviously I don't see any instant message stuff, but I somehow manage to be in the room often enough to make sure that conversations are safe. Emotionally and physically safe is all I care about. 

But what I have found is that FB also gives Rob this venue for sharing a very dry, droll sense of humor.  For instance, when I told him that I noticed he listed Mandarin Chinese as one of his languages on his profile, he flashed a grin and said "Ni Hao Kao-Lin"  (kids PBS show that KC and Lissa occasionally watch.)  It cracked me up. 

Yesterday I put up a status about how wii fit thinks I am 72 years old.  Needless to say being only physically 51 and maturity wise being about 26 I was maximally offended.  So offended that I mis-spelled a simple word in the status.  Something Rob does all the time and as his homeschool teacher I am always extolling him to check his work before he turns it in to me.  His response on my FB page was one word:  "proof read."  I laughed for about 5 minutes over that.  I admit I am easily amused, but this quiet boy has such a wit and FB gives him a venue to show it without nervousness.

No comments: