Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Plea for Help and Ideas

The internet makes the world simultaneously larger and smaller.  I have "met" more people than I ever thought I would, thanks to the net.  Folks whose blogs I read. Folks who for some strange reason read mine. LOL  It makes the world bigger too, because daily my "knowledge" is enhanced, challenged and expanded on by the shared wisdom of so many whose lives might never touch mine without high tech.

Thus, 3 yrs ago I would not have known of this blog or have begun to grow a friendship with its author.  But I have.  I have consistantly read her blog because I am worried about foster care, and most specifically, the lives of kids after they age out of foster care.  I see in my real life day to day work, that "family" and "parenting" doesn't end at the age of majority.  It is that silvery thin safety net where we can call home when we are scared.  When we want to bounce an idea off someone we trust.  When we need a place to go.

Past/future's author is a wonderful, creative woman who is a former foster kid. She is also a lesbian.  She has been living in a relationship in TX.  Her lover has issued an ultimatum that she must leave immediately if not sooner.  That would be bad enough, but Past/Future does not drive due to a medical condition and has a large beloved dog that must travel with her to her new home.  She has a friend in Pennsylvania who is willing to let her stay there for a while and regroup.  The journey from TX to PA is the biggest hurdle.

Because one of the things I do know is that I don't know everything (LOL) I have secured her permission to share this information on my blog.  We hope that someone out there will have some good safe ideas on how to get her and Tank from TX to PA and a safe new beginning. She has been trying to find rides on her own and it is appalling that people want some really creepy "payment" for helping her with transport. (yes, I am talking about sexual favors)

I am Pollyanna of the blog world.  I believe that somehow we can find a way to help her get there safely, without jeopardizing her health, physical or mental.  Maybe I believe that because the alternative is so scary I can't wrap my mind around it and I don't know how she does.  So the floor is open---ideas?  Suggestions?

2 comments:

Katie B said...

Are there any colleges or universities near by where she is living? They often have "ride share" boards and I imagine this time of year with kids going home for the holidays there might be something plus this is usually pretty safe and a college kid is much more likely to be down with a big dog tagging along than others might be.

32FlavoursOfHumanity said...

Not sure if this is a duplicate, something happened during posting. Your friend may be able to try Traveler's Aid society. There is one in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. There site is http://www.travelersaiddfw.org/index.html

They may be able to help. Also some DV programs may be able to help if there is a history of abuse- even emotional. I hope this helps. Good luck to your friend!