Friday, December 24, 2010

Stockings hung. . . drama done

The kids are almost all abed (Rob will be on his way in awhile) and we have made it through the anticipatory day without too much drama.  Chet accidently broke KC's favorite glass this morning.  It is just an older juice glass but it was the first "real" glass he was ever allowed to use.  Chet was being wild with his hands and "the glass just exploded."  Um, probaly not but that was his sincere take on the situation.

The kids helped me bring groceries to D. who had just finished up a medical treatment.  I am feeling my way along figuring out what he likes to eat.  I think it has been awhile since he felt well enough to buy decent groceries.  He says he eats anything, which is likely true but it helps if you like it. Also his groceries entail buying meat and since I don't know much about meat having not bought any in so many years, I wind up corralling people at the grocery store for hints and tips. I need to keep this frugal for him but healthy and interesting.  Today I brought him sliced turkey breast in broth which was pre-cooked in case he was feeling weak and chicken tenders that look like enough for several meals but will need cooking.  Also a rice side dish in with some of the other staples, causing him to exclaim as to how much he enjoys rice.  That will be easy for me to remember, rice is a big staple in my house. 

We also went to the pet store and bought gifts for the fish (LOL) the cat and the dog.  I helped the littles make their gift for Robbie and this all took up most of the day.  Oh and I had them help me make the cinnamon bun dough.  This is now cold rising over night in my pantry.  However our house is so cold I may just leave it on the counter before I go to bed.

I have a lot of negative memories surrounding holidays from my child hood.  I have good ones too but typically my father always caused some type of heartache. It was always the time he chose to nit-pick, to point out that no matter what you didn't meet his expectations.    I work hard to avoid those type of thing.  It is probably an area where my wife and I differ.  She came down on Rob tonite because he keeps forgetting the dog's water needs to be refilled.  I felt tonight wasn't the night.  So it was the adults with the drama.  Sigh.

No comments: