Thursday, December 2, 2010

Troublesome Thursday

Today was one of those days when I looked at the calendar and said THURSDAY?  How is it THURSDAY all ready?  Things have been so super busy at work that literally a week vanished. There are times when I love my job, times when i hate my job and times that fall in between.  For the record, like most of us working folk I suspect the time "in between" is far greater than either of the extremes. One of the things I love is the people connection, feeling like I really know these people and am making a difference.  There are times too when the sadnesses of their circumstances also make it the thing I hate about my job and this week just seemed overly full of those things.  Situations like:

a resident with a degenerative eye condition who has no one to help him administer the medicated drops that he needs. (for the record I am working on visiting nursing services now for him)

a disabled resident who has found out that he has a life threatening illness and has no family in the area. (working on services and apt mods for him too)

a resident with many young children who messed up her life choices badly and is now a guest of our state. (things like this never end well and are something I really hate)

a coworker who lost a beloved family member

another coworker whose parent is hospitalized.

When I write it out, it doesn't seem like it should feel like so much.  And maybe if it wasn't also the week Fiona was hospitalized, it wouldn't.  Or if there wasn't all the stuff swirling about regarding the sale of my company, it might not feel like so much.

But it does, and I don't really mean for me.  For those people and those situations, I felt like I could offer so little to make any of these situations better for the people and families enduring them.  Probably, life is like that all the time, with  good things and bad things, but they usually seem more balanced.  The cosmos got a little slap happy in the negativity department this week!  So tomorrow, I think I will post a picture of our "Beary Christmas" bear and work on some cheer!

No comments: