Saturday, December 11, 2010

What I want to be when I grow up.

For a long time now--probably 2 yrs or more--KC will periodically ask me what I want to be when I grow up.  Usually this is a springboard for reflecting his ever growing, ever changing interests. (for the record, right now, Lissa wants to be a vet, KC wants to be a chef a la buddy of Cake Boss and Rob wants to play pro ball for the Patriots)  But anyway, I always thought it was cute that he asked ME the question.  I figure I look pretty grown up.  But maybe I don't act it.  LOL

I have answered with a litany of different things that interest me that I have never had time or funds to explore over the first 50 years of life.  Things like having a really big organic market garden, helping others learn how to read throug the literacy program, travelling, and hiking the Appalachian Trail end to end.

But recently I had been thinking more seriously about the question and tonight when he happened to ask, I had a different answer.  I would like to initiate a large scale program that would pair empty nesters and elders with foster kids who have aged out of the system with out a family support system.  Family can be defined in lots of different ways but I am thinking here of adults in that capacity.  So a former foster child who had re-established ties with siblings or cousins would still be my target population. 

The adults signing onto this program would be expected to act like the parents of young adult kids.  Offer the advice they don't want to hear on money management.  On relationships. On keeping a job, or how to look for a job.  I see trainings so that appropriate parenting and mentoring modellings are used so that even if the young adults don't take the advice, they don't feel denigrated and the relationship can still grow.  Because as long as we are in relationship there is always an open door for learning together.  I see the parent/mentors making sure birthdays don't go un-celebrated, that the invite is there for holidays, that if someone is sick there is a call to say hope you are feeling better.  I envision invites for movie nights that may be so corny the young adults snicker but will probably feel good about at the same time.  And stuff like that. LOL

So I had to try and explain my idea when KC asked at supper tonight.  He likes the idea.  He is horrified that some people don't have families.  So am I.

And the picture at the top has nothing to do with the post, but it is pretty.  Kirsty made a slew of these and they line our driveway!

2 comments:

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

That is a seriously great idea. I have given some thought to something similar. I have been lucky in the fact that I was informally adopted by another family, and that a lot of my old staff, teachers, and social workers have maintained relationships with me to this day (at 42). I know that is not the norm for most foster care alumni. I have often thought of ways to provide support to alumni, I think you're on to something important!

GrowingUpLost said...

Just so you know... when I left foster care, I knew nothing... I didn't know how to get an ID, I didn't know how to balance a check book, I didn't know how to budget, I didn't know how to do anything that most kids parents would generally teach them. I was thrown out into the world and forced to learn everything on my own very quickly... It was sink or swim, and for a while I was honestly sinking.

I think programs like this would be wonderful...