Sunday, December 5, 2010

Holly-Daze Happiness

There is so much that I love about Yule.  I love the music of the season.  I love decorating. I love home made.  In our house many of our decorations are home made.  Each  year I take left over tissue paper from our days spent folding paper as a side income, and craft it into some type of window art for our picture window.  I have done sledding scenes, elves, and carolers that I remember off the top of my head.  Over the years it became de rigeour to incorporate the kids faces onto the characters that I made out of tissue paper.  This year I went for something simple that came out really cool.  i took three shades of green tissue paper and cut out tons of holly leaves.  Then I found pictures of all the kids faces and cut them into circles and mounted those on red paper.  Instant "holly berries."  The best thing was I was able to make berries both on the inside of the window that faces us and outside so people coming up to the front door see it. Then I took some red paper that had sparkles of glitter and made that into a big "bow" for the wreath.  I love it, it looks so great.  It is festive but lets the light into the room, so important as we quickly approach the shortest day of the year.

Kirsty has been working with the kids on our dining room holiday mural.  It is going to be a fireplace with Santa's feet visible where he is coming down the chimney. Then there is a painted Christmas tree that the kids are going to make decorations for. Lastly she is going to make our kids into little "elves" bringing presents to the tree.

And today the littles made a gingerbread house from a kit I found at the supermarket.  They had a blast and couldn't wait to show me the finished look when I returned home from all the stuff that I had to do today.

No comments: