Friday, December 3, 2010

Planning for Sunday

Scheduling stuff with a larger family is always one of the interesting aspects of our life.  Sunday promises to be one of those days that make me think I really do need a phone with a calendar built in, instead of the emergency tracfone that I carry reluctantly.  I am loathe to buy such a thing, not evening having had a cell till this year.

Sunday we are going to the 9 a.m. service as usual. The littles have Sunday school, I have a commitment to work in a classroom.  Then K is going to take the littles home.  She was intending to also take Chet home but that may have changed.  Rob and the teen choir are singing at the 11 a.m. service and he needs to be ready to rehearse "the stupid spanish hannukah song" as he puts it, at 10 a.m. so he will stay at church with me. He also signed up to help with fellowship following the service at noon.  (which means I have to make about 8 dozen cookies on Saturday!) Then at noon I have a meeting for the religious ed that I am co-chairing.  Rob will stay and hang out with a friend.

Then Chet informed me last night that there is a workshop on gay,lesbiean, bisexual and transgendered issues being held at the same time as my meeting.  Chet has recently identified himself as bisexual and would like to attend.  I think it is important that he be able to, but such things fall into that tough "social skills" area where as an Aspie Chet is weak. Waiting quietly when someone else speaks is not a skill that he can reliably achieve without someone to cue him, for instance. 

I emailed the coordinator of the workshop. Thankfully, he is a dear friend and he wrote back that he wants to try and help Chet be able to attend.  If he can't find someone to buddy up and sit with Chet (there are a number of people within our church that I ran a training for a few years ago who are capable of doing this in a way that helps Chet and yet gives him a bit of independence), he will sit with him himself.  What a gift!

No comments: