Thursday, December 30, 2010

Preparing for New Years Eve

I was unexpectedly lucky and got out of work early today. This meant that the kids and I could go to the library mid afternoon instead of after supper which was a huge boon.  They are less able to handle such  things in the evenings. Or maybe I am. LOL  Playing Wii Fit in the evenings lately has been what we do for an hour or so after supper.  It gives them enough energy burn and we can swap around between the games easily enough that there is something everyone is good at.  Well, except me.

But I didn't really plan to write about my lack of prowess with the Wii.  Rather it was my lack of prowess with paper.  As in the folding of paper.  See we are "travelling" to Brazil this year for New Years Eve. We will be feasting on Bean Croquettes served on buns, Brazilian style rice, and having Brazilian spiced muffins for dessert.  We will play Brazilian music on the computer. I am counting on pandora or slacker to help me out there.  I have a lot of latin music of my own but really nothing Brazilian.

We will play a trivia game that will hopefully teach the kids some fun facts about Brazil.  I will leave 3 easy to read books in the living room during the day and if they avail themselves of them, they will have an edge. LOL 

But there is a custom in Brazil of placing  white flowers in a boat and setting it out to sea. If the boat sinks your wishes will come true.  I have a truly gigantic punch bowl that was my grandmothers.  My thought is to fill it with water, tint it pale blue green with food coloring and float small paper boats in it. I can get some white daisies at the grocery store tomorrow to put in the boats. 

So in my mind, I see this little paper boat.  I google how to make a paper boat.  And I get a 31 step instruction from a university in TX.  Yup, a university had info on this.  Except that this is one area where I have always been weak.  Well, inept is probably a more honest assessment. So I have thus far a bunch of smushed papers and no boats.

I am going to ask Robbie tomorrow morning!  Somehow or other, there WILL be a paper boat.  Hopefully one for all of us but I'll settle for one communal boat to sink with our dreams for the new year.

No comments: