Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fiona may call today

Fiona was supposed to call us on Monday and didn't.  I knew that the staff who facilitate the call were on vacation so I was less concerned over this.  And today, other staff called me around noon and said that indeed, the call had just fallen off their radar and they felt very badly.  Would I be available to have a call at 3:30 today.  I had to take Rob shopping and to the bank first (otherwise he couldn't shop!!) but I said I would be sure we were home in time.  We were and staff called.  The worker who spoke with me said that her office is directly below Fiona's room.  She could clearly hear Fiona raging and staff trying to handle things and felt it was unlikely she would be in a place to speak to us now. 

Sadly, this isn't news to us.  Fiona always has a really really hard time in December.  The "good" part is that the trouble used to start at say Halloween and continue in increasingly difficult rages through Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Staff is going to try again at 5 p.m. to have her call.  I tried to stress that if the call is not in her emotional best interest right now that we understand.  At one level it might help to hear from us, at another, it might be more painful.  I hate that this never seems to get easier for her.