Monday, December 14, 2009

Rob goes carolling????

OK, so I accept my kids different comfort zones with a lot more equanimity than my wife.  Chet doesn't like touching and has trouble with smiling naturally--no biggie.Lissa likes cuddling, hates kisses.  KC doesn't like to be watched when he sings or dances.   Rob hates to sing.  All I request is that he mutter the lyrics to happy birthday and that he stand respectfully in church when others are singing.  I know he has never been a singer by nature and the fact that his voice pitch is a bit unpredictable now contributes as well.

So imagine my shock when we were at church on Sunday and he asked to stay and go carolling to shut ins with his class and the youth group.  Rob?  Sing? Well, he informed me, his best friend would be there. (also the  girl he is sweet on but I didn't mention that)  I said he would have to look like he was having fun and sort of at least LOOK like he was singing.  He said of course he would.  I bought him some soup and arranged to pick him up a few hours later and headed home.

And the youth group director sent me via email a wonderful picture of my son standing with the carollers smiling broadly.  I can't vouch for whether or not he sang, but that smile would like up any shut ins room. I love the fact that he had a good time and that he was comfortable enough in that environment that he could participate at a level that didn't cause him any anxiety.  And--get this folks, my rabid football fan was choosing voluntarily to miss watching his beloved Patriots to go carolling.  That absolutely, is my holiday joy!

No comments: