Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Fiona Called!



I can't believe it!  Fiona finally was able to call.   She sounded so good.  In the past when we spoke she often was I think over medicated.  Her words would slur, she would mumble almost incoherantly and I would often spend most of my time on the phone feeling like I really needed a hearing aid.  I was worried what it would be like on a speaker phone call because of that. But she was clear.  And animated.  And sounded so happy. 

The thing that I was amazed at was the clarity of her memories of times we spent together.  Remember that we haven't physically visited in 3 years.  But she recounted the time we brought them to the pumpkin patch to pick out halloween pumpkins.  It was the first time she had ever done that.  She remembered some experiences we had with horses.  She remembered Chet likes to change his hair color and wondered what color it was now.  It was so so good to talk with her.  I want to email her therapist tomorrow and find out if I was getting the right signals from her on various points in the conversation and also how Fiona was afterwards.  If things go well, we will talk every Tuesday night now.

And as if things couldn't get better, Kirsty finished decorating the front of the house.  Picture of the door is at the top of the post.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to have a good conversation with Fiona! This really does sound like a good placement for her. I'm not surprised she remembers the family so vividly, but it must be great to hear that your work has had an impact on her. I'm so happy for all of you that it went well!