Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I get more info on the phone call that didn't come

Yesterday Jane finally emailed me back.  She could tell I think that i was mightily displeased at the non phone call.  Also, frankly, I was worried. For all I knew, Fiona had to be hospitalized.  I had no way of knowing and she has a history of decompensatin around the holidays.  Sometimes serious, involving efforts to self harm.  But in truth what happened, was the clinician felt that things hadn't been "firmed up"  and that Fiona was not totally on board with the restriction not to give advice to her brother.

First of all, i saved every single email.  I have a hard time finding ambiguity in an email that tells me I will get a phone call lasting 5 minutes on a certain night at a certain time.  There are no ifs ands or buts in that email. There are no indications that Fiona was to meet certain goals for this to happen. 

Secondly, Jane won't tell me what kind of advice Fiona feels she needs to give Robbie.  As his parent, I think it would be appropriate to share that with me.  I also hold a lot of history here and would be able to let Jane know if this has been something she has said in the past and if so, what impact it has had, how we have dealt with it, etc.  Obviously I don't want her asking my son to run away to be with her if that is the advice.  If it is something like don't trust people you don't know, which she has said before, I don't mind.  The reality is Rob doesn't trust anyone he doesn't know, so Fiona speaking to that wouldn't change anything.

I did try to make it clear to Jane that I can't repeatedly prepare Rob and the other kids for a phone call that doesn't materialize.  Jane had been clear that I had to coach Rob on the approved topics so that he would speak more to his sister, as Fiona has some concerns about whether or not Robbie really cares about her.  Doing this type of thing is exactly what has been one of the big barriers to their relationship in the past.  Rob has been resentful (and justifiably) when he missed out on play dates and parties because of trips to see her at various RTC's.  Then we would get there and find out that she was not able to visit after all and would make the long trip home.  By then the play date was over, the party was done and he had nothing, not even a visit with a sib.  So I tried to explain this again to Jane and we will  see if a call comes in the future.

She also finally let me know what Fiona wants for Yule so that I can shop for her birthday and Christmas. Thank goodness!  I have been stressing in all my emails that I budget and that I need to make sure I have her gifts wrapped and mailed in time for her to have them on the 25th.  So now at least I can do some shopping.

2 comments:

Dia por Dia said...

I am convinced having selective memories is part of the job training for some of these folks... My email is nlbtexas at gmail dot com.

Channie said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with such a frustrating situation.