Saturday, December 5, 2009

It isn't even Yule and we're thinking about New Years!

Yup, cause that is just the kind of forward thinking people we are!  LOL  Actually it is because we celebrate New Years Eve a tad differently than other families I know.  I am not a fan of cranky kids. I get them sometimes despite my best efforts but I really truly try to prevent the crankies.  Lack of sleep equals mega crankies.  Lack of sleep for some of my kids equals an inability to think their way (as my mom would put it) out of a paper bag with both ends open and a pair of scissors.  So we don't stay up till midnight at our house.  But I still wanted it to be special and festive and fun.  Remember I am also the queen of celebrating and we have to balance this with my practical side.  We also are homeschoolers. Thus New  Years Eve around the world was born.  We have done Italy, Australia, England, Spain and Poland.  Because the whole evening and the decorations revolve around the country we choose, there is a family summit that nearly rivals that of the Olympic Committee when choosing the country.  This years contenders:

Brazil--  Rob's idea. Sadly the carnival folks lost out as we are not meat eaters and most of the recipes are seafood based.   Those that are not, like black bean soup are too every day for us to feel festive with.  (cue the big BONG of a gong here)

France--possibly still a contender.  I can envision some cool decorations involving building or drawing the Eiffel Tower.  I can envison a fun meal with both savory and sweet crepes.  I could do this one, but it hasn't sold the majority.

China--KC's vote because of his music teacher moving there.  Well, that and the chopsticks!  We had to explain about how Chinese New Year doesn't follow our calendar.  He was bummed.  We often celebrate Chinese New Year anyway in February though so he will not mind for too long.  (cue the big bong of the gong here)

Mexico--Another suggestion from KC  I can picture a cool night of fun with this country. Food would be easy and very kid friendly.  The colors and music would be bright and lively. I even have a friend living in Mexico who could likely send us some stuff (and I have some stuff from my student trip there)  But Rob just finished a big research on Mexico and I think he is not all that interested in Mexico at the moment.  The tamale crew may be out of luck here.

Russia--I adore Russian music, culture and history.  I was one of 12 students who actually chose to study Russian history in high school. But research into the Russian diet left us a little underwhelmed.  A whole lotta potato going on there!  LOL  (cue the gong, Russia didn't make the cut)

Greece--I think Kirsty suggested this and it might be a winner.  How can I argue with visions of baklava dancing in my head?  LOL  I can envision beautiful blue and white decorations being made, faux marble columns painted or created and acting out a Greek myth.  And I found awesome greek food recipes.  Greece is  a strong contender.

So for now, the field is narrowed to three, Mexico, Greece and France.  We will have a big family vote in a week or so. Stay tuned!