Monday, December 7, 2009

Why must Santa be pink?

I have done my darndest to make sure that my kids see their skin tones reflected in the Santas that decorate our house this season.  Yes, there are the anglo Santa's of my childhood (in our house we have decorations dating back to my grandparents!) But there are AA Santa and the Missus salt and pepper shakers.  A jolly black Santa checks his list on our sideboard.  I have a really good sized "brown" plush Santa (this is my kids description) that is motion activated in the corner as you enter the room. There are others too, but you get the idea.

So imagine my distress when KC informed me that the Santa on the "mural in progress" in our dining room had to be "pink" like Mom and I.  Pink?  I sputtered weakly.  First off, pink is way too colorful an adjective to use for me.  Dead white, Morticia had more color in her cheeks than I do this time of year.  And I rarely have time for more than a swipe of lipstick so there is no artificial enhancement going on most days!  I just am naturally really really pale.  Kirsty, well yup, pink is sort of accurate.  She's a rosy faced Swede.  BUT, more pressingly, why does  my son think the "real" Santa is pink?  Sigh.

No comments: