Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Quiet beauty


Some weeks back I bemoaned the last of the flowers from our yard.  I have enjoyed small bouquets in my bedroom all spring and summer.  Actually, I had spoken a wee bit too soon as a few warmer days allowed a few brave plants to shoot forth last blooms.  The very last was a rose that only budded and never bloomed.  But the bud was beautiful and a reminder of the blooms enjoyed months ago.

When I wrote the post, Thorn suggested that I craft an arrangement of dried things.  I never mentioned this to Kirsty, who is the kind bringer of posies into my room.  But great minds must work alike as I went into the room tonight and found this!  The picture doesn't really do it justice.  The twisted branches have a decidedly asian feel and it suits the room perfectly as my room is very much influenced by asian art and style.  The weeds are dried and there are sparkling marbles in the vase. I believe the Japanese word for this type of simple beauty is shibumi.  I love it.  It is a bit of calm and tranquil beauty that is always welcome, but most especially so at this busy time of the year.

No comments: