Monday, December 21, 2009

Snowy Migraines

Yesterday I woke to snow and a migraine.  Actually the migraine woke me up at 5:30 a.m. and as I crept downstairs to try and get aspirin Elisabeth woke up and bombed into my bed.  I tried to convince her to go back to sleep. Yup, sure that was going to happen!  LOL  I took my meds and lay back down.  Waited for the pain to abate a bit and listened to Lissa and KC (who she had promptly wakened) whisper to each other and play with his stuffed moose.  Clearly small things in life amuse me; I adore listening to the two of them converse.  I can't remember the details now; they are lost in the fog of migraine pain, but I remember that they were cute.

At 6:30 they were starving so I got up and did breakfasts for everyone, made tea and toast for myself and tottered back to bed.  I left the door open so I could hear everyone.  Breakfast chatter is much louder than the sweet whispers of early morning, but that way I would know if anyone was being killed.  Kirsty had not yet awakened.  She got up around 8 and by 9:30 my head was enough better that I could function.

I got up and puttered around the house, Kirsty decided to go to a big box store and shop, and the kids noticed that it had snowed the night before.  Not the big snow which was forecast.  Dire blizzard warnings had been all over the news for us but we got maybe 4 inches.  Fluffy Christmas snow.  This is the time of year i like snow.  I am done with it by January 1.  Then I am ready for seed catalogs and spring.

The kids wanted to go outside and play so I bundled everyone up and took them out sliding.  I didn't so much slide as haul kids and sleds up the little hill in our back yard but we had fun.  Lissa is getting into it this year.  The first time it snowed she would only stay out 5 minutes.  She was out nearly 30 with the boys and I.

Went in the house when she got cold and figured I would start their lunch.  Found 3 frantic messages on the service from K who was at the aforementioned store and the car (my beloved 98 Metro) would not start.  The funny part of this is that she had not taken the cell phone with her (remember we are now a cell phone family) and she was borrowing the cell of a "nice man" in the parking lot.  Which is what i have always said we could do if we had a problem.  LOL  In her last message to me she said that she had gotten ahold of our boss and he was sending someone to jump the car and she would be back soon.  And she was.  I have no idea what was wrong with the car though as it had started fine when she left and it started fine this a.m.  It is elderly but usually reliable.

I spent the afternoon watching football with one eye and working valiently on catching up the kids scrapbooks with the other.  I have Lissa's all done and this a.m. finished Rob's.  Now I just have KC to do tonight.  I try to make sure the pages include little things that we do too.  Not just the big things, like birthdays and feast days.  Those are there as well, but a small trip to the blacksmith expo was also featured, time at our community garden plot, the time a child's class lit the chalice at church, etc.  I want them to look back and see a myriad of experiences and memories.  Lissa is drawn to looking at her book now; so it is really a rewarding task.  Just time consuming and time is always a scarce commodity.

By evening, the migraine was fully done--something of a worlds record and they are usually 2 to 3 day events, and by my count it was 2 months to the day (weird huh?) since my last full blown one.

No comments: