Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wacky Wednesday

My mind is aswirl today with the million zillion things I want to get done to get ready for tomorrow.  I have cooking and re-structuring our living room to accomodate tables and the guest room to finish etc.  It will get done but despite lists, at times like this I find myself feeling like my mind is just going over and over things.  It will stop once I am actually DOING the things I am stressing about,but till then. . .

And yet, I am thankful that I am here, in this busy loving family getting ready to welcome our extended family in to share a day of food and laughter together.  Last night I found out that one of my residents where I work is seriously ill and in the hospital.  In an odd cosmic turn of events he is the room mate of a friend and co-workers father or I would not have even known he was in the hospital.  I was stunned when Glo FB'd me and told me Mr. L was her dad's room mate.  Mr. L usually comes to see me every single a.m. like clock work.  He is a lot like my Chet.  If Chet had not had family supports and lived on the streets for a lot of his life before getting some stability, he would be Mr. L.  They talk and act so much alike sometimes that it is uncanny and as Mr. L has no living parents and his family do not seem to be close by I have become this odd surrogate mother.  I find ways to help him budget, I have helped make sure that certain hygeine needs get met (like Chet he forgets some significant things) and helped him access services that assist people with food, and other needs. 

However I haven't seen Mr. L for over a week.  I thought nothing of it because the company that is interested in buying the place where I work has been on site and highly visible this past week.  The sale may actually be going through after so many years and every day there are tons of people who are not known to my general resident population on the premises.  This is hard for disabled people to cope with.  Mr. L avoided my office when there was a big construction project this summer so I figured it was the same deal.  But instead, he has been very ill in the hospital. I had all ready made sure that he would have a full Thanksgiving dinner ready for him, but now he may be in the hospital over the holiday instead. Sigh.

No comments: