Monday, November 1, 2010

Zoom Zoom Zumba!

A long time ago I used to go out to a fitness center at least 5 nights a week.  I am weird in that I really like working out. Then I started studying karate and for 12 yrs I logged a lot of dojo hours working my way up the rankings to nidan.  (second degree black) But expanding our family meant a couple of things.  Obviously, less free cash.  But more importantly, younger kids that needed me there at bed time. 

I don't know what bedtimes are like at my friends houses but I sense that they are probably a bit less structured than ours are.  Some of my kids have disabilities that mean structure and sameness helps them to settle. Some of my kids come from trauma and need that as well to feel safe.  Some are just wild indians. (laughing)  It runs the gamut but I have a system and it works really well. (patting self on back).  As I know, because my wife will flat out refuse to put the tribe to bed. LOL

But that has meant that there really isn't time to go somewhere and work out.  I have a Soloflex in our cellar but it is sorta damp and icky down there and I strongly suspect that it is not the healthiest environment for working out.  But I had to move it down cellar because a Soloflex was way too enticing for the kids.

Anyway, KC's dance studio had a sign up on Saturday. They are starting something called a Zumba class.  It is on Friday nights from 5:30 to 6:30.  This is a really do-able time slot for me.  It means Lissa goes to bed 30 minutes later than usual but that is not horrible. And K is away all day Saturday at work, so if I need to structure in some quiet time Saturday afternoon because she is tired, I can easily do it. 

The funny thing is that I had no clue what Zumba is. The woman who googles everything had never ever heard of Zumba.  All I knew was the poster said it had latin music which is something I adore so I thought an hour of exercise to good music sounded like fun.  Also it said it did interval training which I also adore.But when I emailed my 77 year old mother, she knew all about zumba. Go figure!

  The only hard part of the time slot is that from 3 to 3:30 Rob has piano lessons.  From 4:00 to 4:50 Lissa has her gymnastics (new time slot as she just got bumped up a level).  So that means after I get back from her gym class, I would essentially just go out the door to my class.  I am okay with that as long as my wife is okay with it. And at this moment in time, she seems to be!

The class doesn't start for a couple of weeks, but I am kind of excited.  It sort of beats calling my shower "my time!"  LOL

1 comment:

Todd said...

Hopefully you can fit whatever Zumba is, into your schedule.