Sunday, November 21, 2010

Imagine!

In about 30 minutes my Rob will arrive home from singing with the teen choir.  I can't wait to see him and give him a hug.  I am so proud of him for doing this.  I know he was nervous as he ate a very light breakfast. If you knew what a chowhound Rob is you would know that this is a sure sign of nerves.  The boy who never misses a meal or a snack had a bowl of yogurt for breakfast.  Only yogurt.  Usually it is a bowl of yogurt, a piece of toast and a bowl of cereal, followed by a donut on the way to church when we stop a Dunkins.  He admitted to me that he was nervous (also huge) and I hugged him and told him I knew he was going to do fine.

He had chosen his outfit with care and had I think achieved his desired look of casual yet slightly dressy teen cool.  It would probably be frowned upon in some churches, but in our faith it will be embraced for the statement it is.  Turquoise jeans, a graphic tee, a slightly lighter turquoise dress shirt left open, so that his t shirt design could be visible. We trimmed his hair last night and he really looked so handsome.

They were singing "Imagine" in the teen choir today.  Who would imagine that my son would push himself to sing in public?  Every single public school event that we attended when he was in school he had this terrified deer in the headlights look.  He was miserable being there, and so obviously unhappy it hurt to watch him. His PTSD was so rampantly present and nothing we said or did made any of it any better.  I know that teen love has been part of the motivation ( OK maybe ALL of the motivation for this) but it is okay with me.  He will come away realizing that he COULD do this and that it turned out okay and have a bit more confidence in himself. Imagining that has kept a smile on my face all morning.

1 comment:

Sunday Koffron Taylor said...

Yea! It is very hard to push past anxiety, even to do the things we love. Great Job!