Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fiona and the holidays

We had a great call with Fiona last night.  She actually is getting quite clever about things which cracks me up.  It is kind of the normal manipulation that kids usually do and that frankly she has never been able to do. So oddly enough it is for me, something to celebrate.   For instance, she is supposed to work out a phone plan with Jane before they call and I gather that they did this. (important disclaimer:  the phone plan is in no way something that I have requested; it is a school thing and they use it to help her process things and to help her learn to choose words and topics appropriately) 

Anyway, Jane, Fiona and i were on the phone and Fiona says "Oh, Mom I wanted to ask you about something.  Jane, I forgot to include this in my plan but this seems like a good time to discuss it!"  ROFL  I think Jane was okay with it too as thankfully she let it happen.

Fiona wanted to talk about her birthday.  Which falls on Christmas. This is always a really tough trauma time for her.  Usually she is not capable even at this point in the calendar year of having a positive, happy conversation.  So the fact that she could is more cause for joy.  She wants us there to celebrate her birthday.  She knew that we would have to come on a different day rather than Christmas.  Can you see me beaming?  This is SO much growth and change for my daughter.  It is beyond huge.

I am going to email Jane today and see if we could come in the afternoon on 12/23  It will mean I will need to work late a couple nights before that in order to get the year end stuff done, but I think that would be close enough to her birthday to feel that we were "really" celebrating and yet not so close to the day that there is a heightened chance for her melting down and not enjoying herself.  If we went to see her on Christmas Eve for instance, I am not sure she is going to be emotionally able to have as much fun. It sounds silly since there is only a days difference betweeen what I am suggesting for the visits but I think that it will make a difference. I can't wait to see if the 23rd will be okay with Jane!

1 comment:

Todd said...

Awesome and totally awesome! It's great that she's doing so well. *huge hugs*