Friday, November 26, 2010

A decorating frenzy!

Last night my mom told the kids to sleep in when she said good night to them.  She looked at me funny when I snorted with laughter.  I KNOW my kids. LOL They slept till 6 a.m. when they woke and asked if it was time to decorate yet.  So by 6:30 I could corral them no longer and we were up and breakfasting.  By 7:30 all the harvest decorations (3 Sterilite totes full!) were filled and put away.  Kirsty was not even up yet.  My  mom was gap mouthed.  I told her I have always tried to be clear that day starts early here.  I made her another cup of tea so she could recover.  She was impressed though by how much the kids do to help get things put away.  Then there was a slight lull while she played with the kids as she was leaving by 9:30.  When she was gone, the decorating began in earnest.  It is now wrapping up and essentially with the exception of our tree (which doesn't go up till late in December so the kids have room to play) we are done.  There will be decorations added throughout the month that the kids and I make.  A wreath I have planned with natural materials we spent the fall gathering. The mural that K will make with the kids has yet to be created.  A swag of pine cones that I suspect will be covered with paint and glitter awaits completion.  Stuff like that. But the bulk of the decorating is done.  The dining room is heavily decorated as we eat there every night, as is the kitchen.  A lot of time is spent there as well.  The front hall has a fair amount because the kids play there often.  The rest of the rooms have lighter touches.  Everyone's bedroom has something but not a lot. I don't do the stairhall with decorations because Lissa is still too young to leave the garland loops alone and I worry about her tangling herself doing funky stair things. 

Outside we have lights, our porch bear is now riding in a sled carrying a present and wearing a scarf and festive headgear, we have faux pine garlands strewn where ever we could.  We are all about Yule, guys!  The kids are thrilled.  In years past we have tried to decorate in dribs and drabs thinking that this kept down the hype of the holiday a bit.  It didn't and it wound up stressing out Kirsty as she tried to find time to get the decorating done amongst the 5 million other things that happen on a work week.  I love the holidays.  It is so much fun watching the kids faces as we unload things--like our collection of black Santas or Rob's nutcracker.  Bring on the Yuletide fun!

No comments: